Hi!

Hello! My name is Ed, and I have, among other things, a wife, a son, a job, a beer belly, a love of gardening, a great chili recipe, and Tourette's Syndrome. All of those things are parts of me, but none of them tells the whole story. I'll be using this space to do that.

If you've somehow stumbled upon this blog without knowing what Tourette's Syndrome (TS henceforth) is, here! Have a link! I have a feeling that if you asked 100 people with TS to explain it to you, you'd hear 100 varying responses with a few common threads. For me, it's knowing that at all times, I have only partial control over my body. That might sound awful to you and sometimes it is, but try to think about it from my point of view: I can only remember being like this. I'm a little iffy on the exact timing, but I think I became symptomatic sometime around 4th or 5th grade. If I recall correctly, my first symptoms were an irrepressible urge to shake my head and to fling my arms out. These are common motor tics that a lot of other TS patients can relate to. My first vocal tics started with quiet grunts and clearing my throat all the time. I'll get into being a kid with undiagnosed TS at a later date.

My goals here are few and simple. I like to write, partially because I just like the way it makes my brain feel and partially because I know it's the only way I can communicate completely tic-free. So yes, this is a vanity project. Another reason is that I was only recently diagnosed with TS by a neurologist a few months ago and it's been on my mind a lot. I hope that by putting these thoughts down, I can clear out some space in my brain for my wife, my son, and my own peace of mind. Thirdly, I'd like to communicate with other TS patients from all backgrounds and all experiences. One of the best things I've done since being diagnosed is to become involved in online communities for people with Tourette's. I'd like to build one of those here. On my bad tic days, it helps sometimes to know that other people out there are dealing with the same problems and still kicking ass and taking names at work, at school, and at home. If you're a reader with TS, welcome: let's lift each other up. If you're a reader without TS, welcome too!! I hope I can shed a little light on a neurological condition normally kept in darkness. I hope you all enjoy your time here.

Today's tics:
Eyebrows
Right middle finger
Shoulder and neck shrug
Mouth puckering
Light staring

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like a Horse and Carriage

Comorbidly We Go Along

Conversationally Speaking