Situational

I was going to go ahead and not write anything tonight since I got caught up watching the Giants on Monday Night Football. What a waste of a night. Watching them week after week is becoming an excruciating exercise in futility. And yes, I know what "excruciating" means.

I tweeted earlier asking if anyone else experienced more mouth and lip tics when their lips are chapped. I know this happens to me, and it's become one of my least favorite parts of late fall/winter/early/spring. My lips will get chapped, and that makes my tics worse. My tics being worse leads to me biting my lips more, which makes them more chapped, which leads to my tics being worse, and so on and so forth. It got really bad last winter, to the point where I had sores on the inside of my bottom lip from biting them so much. This got me thinking about which of my tics are sort of my regular cast, and which ones are the guest stars depending on where I am or what I'm doing or, apparently, which effing time of the year it is.

My hard blink is relentless. I am certain the muscles in my eyebrows and the surrounding area could lift mountains. My right middle finger, like Austin Powers, likes to live dangerously (although he's been behaving pretty well the last few days). I have the clearest throat around, and I assure you the the pressure in my ears is always, always equalized. ...it's only occurring to me now that this is starting to sound like a pretty decent opening paragraph on a Tourette's dating site. Anyway, these are the tics that I'll find myself doing anywhere and under any circumstances.

I doubt what follows will be an exhaustive list of my situational tics, so I may update this as I remember/notice new ones.

-when I stand at a computer, I flex my shoulders forward and backwards a bunch.
-when I drive, I touch my nose to either bicep really quickly. I also do a good neck flex.
-when I'm holding a book or smart device or game controller, I'll kind of hold it like a foot from my nose, wave whatever object I'm holding, and breathe in through my nose as the breeze from the wave hits it. This, as far as I can think of at the moment, is my only tic where I need it to feel "just right" in order to stop doing it.
-where I work, we have dome safety mirrors hanging from the ceiling so vehicle operators can see around corners without having to enter travel lanes. Whenever I walk past one, I sort of compress my neck and look up at the same time.
-not sure if this is a tic or just a weird compulsion or just a thing I do for the hell of it, but there are a few spots on the wall at work that I punch every time I walk past them.
-I count the number of steps on every staircase I walk on, and I love love love when there are fifteen steps. I despise staircases of fourteen and sixteen steps as much as I love the fifteens.

I'll probably revisit this list at some point. In an earlier post, I mentioned how I didn't want to list tics because there's a voyeuristic aspect to it. I decided to make this list just to keep track for my own edification and to see if anyone else shares some of these. Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Like a Horse and Carriage

Comorbidly We Go Along

Conversationally Speaking